With over 13,000 members across the country, SHPE is an expert in serving Hispanic students and young professionals in their journey of pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
For nearly five decades, SHPE has found that access, awareness, advancement, and leadership representation in the STEM industry hasn’t met the exponential growth rate and potential of our highly skilled community, where it needs to be. That is why SHPE seeks to become the leading voice for our Familia in Washington, DC.
Our Government Relations team is committed to offering members of Congress and the federal government our expertise to make thoughtful policy recommendations and guidance in the crafting of legislation to close equity gaps between Hispanics and STEM education.
- SHPE supports policies to increase the number of Hispanic men and women in engineering to promote economic empowerment and sustainability in their community.
- SHPE supports increased federal funding for initiatives aimed at boosting the number of Latino students who pursue STEM education and career paths, particularly engineering.
- SHPE supports increased targeted funding for Hispanic Serving Institutions and other colleges and universities that are focused on STEM opportunities for Hispanic students.
- Early STEM Education
- College Preparation
- Undergraduate & Graduate Success
- Workforce & Professional Development
- Building the next generation of Hispanics in STEM
- Partnerships with Academic & Industry Sectors
NEWS & UPDATES
SHPE Letters to Congress (legislation, appropriations, budget, funding)
House Letter – STEM Education Pipeline 3/16/23
Senate Letter – STEM Education Pipeline 3/16/23
House Letter – STEM Funding for Underrepresented Communities 12/1/22
Senate Letter – STEM Funding for Underrepresented Communities 12/1/22
SHPE Letters to State Legislators (legislation, appropriations, budget, funding)
Florida State Education Postsecondary Committee Letter – SHPE University College Chapters 3/27/23
Texas State Finance and Higher Education Committee Letter – SHPE University College Chapters 4/12/23
Professional Societies DEI Joint Letter 5/8/23
Letter – Funding of STEM Priorities in CHIPS FY 23 11/28/22
AV Sign-On Letter Minority Research FY23 THUD Approps S-4 10/28/22
Coalition Letter to Smithsonian Board of Regents re Sites for National Museum of the American Latinos 10/27/22
ADVOCACY Toolkit & Resources
STAY IN TOUCH
SHPE is a subject matter expert in advancing Hispanic leadership in the STEM industry and we want to bring our voice to DC. If you’d like to volunteer your time, just fill out your info and we’ll be in touch.
To connect with us, contact Mariana Acuña Delgado at [email protected].