Introduction and Scope
SHPE can be contacted by email at email@example.com.
- 1.Collection of Personal Information From Users
When you interact with us through the Site, we may collect information from you as described below.
a. Information you provide
Some elements of the Site may ask you to submit Personal Information in order for you to benefit from the specified features or participate in a certain activity, such as magazine subscriptions, donation processing, completion of surveys, or event registration. For example:
- Account Registration: If you register for an account on the Site, we may request Personal Information such as your name and contact information, such as your email address, telephone number, mailing address.
- Membership and Scholarship Applications: When you apply to become a member or for a scholarship through the Site, we will collect the information you provide in the application forms.
- Donations: If you make a donation on the Site, we will collect your name, contact information, credit or debit card, or other financial account information.
- Searches: When you perform a search within the Site, SHPE may record information identifying you or linking you to the search performed and recording information related to the search request.
- Events and Training: When you register for an event, we will ask for your name, your contact information, and we may ask for other information related to dietary restrictions, special facilities or equipment that you may require, and emergency contact information. We may ask for an email address or mobile phone number to contact you regarding event-related activities and opportunities. We may also request demographic information, such as your job title, purchasing responsibilities, company information, and professional certification.
- Surveys and contests: If you choose to participate in a survey or a contest you may be asked to provide information, including contact information and demographic information, like your job title.
- Careers: Certain parts of the Site may allow you to submit information or attachments, such as your resume, to apply for a job. On these pages of the Site, we collect the information you knowingly provide to us, which may include your contact information, your current employment, your employment history, your education and training, and any work restrictions.
- Contact Us: We collect the information that you knowingly provide when you contact us through the “Contact Us” portion of the Site.
c. Information About Minors
The Site is not intended for persons under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information online from persons in this age group. If you are under 16 and are interested in the SHPE Jr. Program, your parent or legal guardian must contact SHPE by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided by minors under the age of 16 at our discretion.
d. Location Information
Any comment system on the Site may utilize an opt-in Geolocation service in accordance with a prevailing community standard such as HTML 5. Such Geolocation opt-in ability is managed by the user’s browser settings. If a user chooses to opt-in to the Geolocation service, the user’s comments may be associated with the user’s location, both internally within SHPE and publicly on the Site.
e. Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices
As you navigate the Site, certain Personal Information may be passively collected, meaning it is gathered without your actively providing it. This is done using the following techniques in the following ways:
- IP Addresses: An IP address is a unique identifier that certain electronic devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. When you visit our Site, we may view the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet. We use this information to determine the general physical location of the device and understand from what geographic regions our website visitors come. We also may use this information to enhance our Site.
- Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type and operating system type and version screen resolution, and Internet browser type and version.
- Social Media Widgets. Our Site may include social media tools, including social media widgets or plug-ins, to connect you to our social media accounts. These features may set a cookie or use other automatic collection and tracking technologies to collect information about you and your use of the social media features through and in connection with our Site. These social media tools may be hosted by a third party. Your interactions with these tools and the corresponding social media platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide such platforms.
- Embedded Videos: Should a user ever view any embedded Vimeo or Youtube video material, please be aware that Vimeo and YouTube apply their own cookies which help you stay logged in, suggest recommended videos, volume preference and help to deliver advertisements. For further information regarding their policies, please refer to these webpages:
|Cookie Name||Expiration Time||Description|
|_ga||26 months||Persistent cookies. Used to distinguish users.|
|_gid||At end of session||Used to distinguish users by storing a unique user session identifier.|
|_gat||24 hours||Used to throttle request rate.|
You can visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout for information on how to opt out of Google Analytics cookies.
You can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it. You can also set your browser to turn off cookies.
We do not track your behavior across third party websites. Our Site currently does not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and we operate as described in this Privacy Statement whether or not a DNT signal is received, as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
- 2.How We Use the Information We Collect
- if you are a member, to deliver membership benefits to you;
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you information that you request and to fulfill your donations;
- to send you important information regarding our relationship with you or regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and other administrative information;
- if you provide Personal Information in order to obtain access to or use the functionality of part of the Site, we will use your Personal Information to provide you with access to and use of that functionality, including to evaluate your qualifications to use such functionality;
- to facilitate communications among members of SHPE, including to create, update, and manage our membership directory;
- if you choose to complete a survey, we may use the information for purposes of evaluating your feedback from the survey;
- if you apply for a job on the Site, we may use the personal data to process your application;
- if you register for an event, we may use your Personal Information to contact you and send you information relating to the event, including by email. If it is a paid event, we may process your credit card or other account information for payment purposes. We may also use the information to manage the event, including to address dietary restrictions and facility accommodations;
- we may use Personal Information to notify you about upcoming events and donation opportunities;
- we may use Personal Information to promote our products and services, and the products and services of our affiliates;
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, recordkeeping, developing new products or services, enhancing the Site, improving our services, identifying Site usage trends, personalizing your experience on the Site, and determining the effectiveness of our fundraising campaigns; and
- if we intend to collect and use Personal Information for another purpose, we may seek your permission at the time the information is collected.
We may use any information that does not personally identify you, your computer, or your device, for any purpose.
- 3.Our Disclosure of Your Information.
- to the companies or individuals that we hire to provide services to us, such as website hosting services;
- if you are a member, your name and contact information will be included in the SHPE membership directory, which will be shared with other members and third parties;
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- 4.Uses and Disclosures to Comply with Laws.
In addition, where permitted by applicable law, we use and disclose Personal Information collected through the Site as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (i) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (ii) to comply with legal process; (iii) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (iv) to enforce our terms and conditions; (v) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (vi) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (vii) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- 5.Links to Third Party Sites.
SHPE will take reasonable steps to protect the information collected and provided via the Site from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, you should understand that no transmission over the Internet is ever fully secure. Also, SHPE uses reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is generally available. However, there will be occasions when access to the Site will be interrupted or unavailable. SHPE will use reasonable efforts to minimize such disruption where it is within its reasonable control. You agree that SHPE shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site.
- 7.Your Data Rights and Choices.
Registered users can update their profile information on the Site by clicking on shpeconnect.org. You can unsubscribe from certain emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link they contain. You can opt-out of the use of certain cookie-related processing by following the instructions in Section 1(e) above (Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices).
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (also known as the “Shine The Light” law) permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the Personal Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year.
10. Contacting Us.
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
13181 Crossroads Parkway North, Suite 450
City of Industry, CA 97416
Telephone: (323) 725-3970
Last Updated: July 2018