Effective date: May 3, 2022
Introduction and Scope
1. Collection of Personal Information From Users.
When you interact with us through the Site, we may collect information about you as described below.
a. Information You Provide.
Some elements of the Site may ask you to submit Personal Information in order for you to benefit from the specified features or participate in a certain activity, such as magazine subscriptions, donation processing, completion of surveys, or event registration. For example:
- Account Registration: If you register for an account on the Site, we may request Personal Information such as your name, username or other alias, and contact information, such as your email address, telephone number, or mailing address. We may also request the names and contact information of other individuals you know, such as requesting you to upload your contacts.
- Membership, Chapter, and Scholarship Applications: When you apply to become a member, to establish a chapter, or for a scholarship through the Site, we will collect the information you provide in the application forms.
- Donations: If you make a donation on the Site, we will collect your name, contact information, credit or debit card, or other financial account information.
- Searches, Internet or electronic network activity, and application usage data: When you perform a search within the Site, SHPE may record information identifying you or linking you to the search performed and recording information related to the search request. We may also record other information about your use of and engagement with the Site.
- Events and Training: When you register for an event, we will ask for your name, your contact information, and we may ask for other information related to dietary restrictions, special facilities or equipment that you may require, and emergency contact information. We may ask for an email address or mobile phone number to contact you regarding event-related activities and opportunities. We may also request demographic information, such as your job title, purchasing responsibilities, company information, and professional certification.
- Recordings: When you participate in an event, your likeness or voice may be recorded through the Site, and transcripts of chat logs or comments may be produced.
- Surveys and contests: If you choose to participate in a survey or a contest you may be asked to provide information, including contact information and demographic information, like your job title.
- Contact Us: We collect the information that you provide when you contact us through the “Contact Us” portion of the Site.
b. Information About Minors.
The Site is not intended for persons under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information online from persons in this age group. Parents or legal guardians who believe their child has provided us with Personal Information should contact us at [email protected] to request deletion of Personal Information associated with their child.
c. Location Information.
We may collect precise location information when you provide consent to that collection, for example when you leave a comment on the Site or otherwise provide consent to the collection of location information through the Site. This location information may be provided to the public in association with the comment you provide.
d. Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices.
As you navigate the Site, certain Personal Information may be passively collected, meaning it is gathered without your actively providing it. This is done using techniques such as:
- IP Addresses & Other Technical Information: When you visit our Site, we may view the IP address, Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type and operating system type and version screen resolution, Internet browser type and version, and other technical information about the device and browser you use to visit to the Site. We use this information to determine the general physical location of the device and understand from what geographic regions our website visitors come. We also may use this information to enhance and deliver our Site, as well as other analytics and operations purposes.
- Social Media Widgets. Our Site may include social media tools, including social media widgets or plug-ins, to connect you to our social media accounts. These features may set a cookie or use other automatic collection and tracking technologies to collect information about you and your use of the social media features through and in connection with our Site. These social media tools may be hosted by a third party. Your interactions with these tools and the corresponding social media platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide such platforms.
e. Information from Third Parties.
We may receive information about you and your devices from third parties and combine that information, as well as any other information you provide or we collect together.
2. How We Use the Information We Collect.
- if you are a member, to deliver membership benefits to you;
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you information that you request and to fulfill your donations;
- to send you important information regarding our relationship with you or regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and other administrative information;
- if you provide Personal Information in order to obtain access to or use the functionality of part of the Site, we will use your Personal Information to provide you with access to and use of that functionality, including to evaluate your qualifications to use such functionality;
- to facilitate communications among members of SHPE, including to create, update, and manage our membership directory;
- if you choose to complete a survey, we may use the information for purposes of evaluating your feedback from the survey;
- if you apply for a job on the Site, we may use the personal data to process your application;
- if you register for an event, we may use your Personal Information to contact you and send you information relating to the event, including by email. If it is a paid event, we may process your credit card or other account information for payment purposes. We may also use the information to manage the event, including to address dietary restrictions and facility accommodations;
- we may use Personal Information to notify you about upcoming events, donation opportunities, and for other fundraising purposes;
- we may use Personal Information to promote our products and services, and the products and services of our affiliates;
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, recordkeeping, developing new products or services, enhancing the Site, improving our services, identifying Site usage trends, personalizing your experience on the Site, and determining the effectiveness of our fundraising campaigns; and
- if we intend to collect and use Personal Information for another purpose, we may seek your permission at the time the information is collected.
We may use any information that does not personally identify you, your computer, or your device, for any purpose.
3. Our Disclosure of Your Information.
- to the companies or individuals that we hire to provide services to us, such as website hosting services and analytics providers;
- to third parties to promote our products and services;
- to third parties to promote products and services we think may be of interest to you;
- to sponsors and partner organizations to verify program performance;
- if you are a member, your name and contact information will be included in the SHPE membership directory, which will be shared with other members and third parties;
- if you choose to make an online donation or other payment through the Site, your payment will be processed by a third-party company that specializes in processing online payments.
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings); or
- With your consent.
4. Uses and Disclosures to Comply with Laws.
In addition, where permitted by applicable law, we use and disclose Personal Information collected through the Site as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (i) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (ii) to comply with legal process; (iii) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (iv) to enforce our terms and conditions; (v) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (vi) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (vii) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
5. Interest-Based Advertising.
We may partner with ad networks and other ad serving providers (“Advertising Providers”) that serve ads on behalf of us and others on non-affiliated platforms. Some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information Advertising Providers collect about your use of the Site and other sites or apps over time, including information about relationships among different browsers and devices. This type of advertising is known as interest-based advertising.
You may visit the DAA WebChoices tool at www.aboutads.info/choices to learn more about this type of advertising and how to opt out of this advertising on websites by companies participating in the DAA self-regulatory program. Additionally, you can visit www.aboutads.info/appchoices to download the DAA’s AppChoices tool for your mobile device to opt-out of interest-based advertising for your mobile device.
If you delete your cookies, reset your identifier, or use a different browser or mobile device, you may need to renew your opt-out choices exercised through the DAA’s tools or make choices through those other browsers or devices. Note that electing to opt out will not stop advertising from appearing in your browser or applications. It may make the ads you see less relevant to your interests.
6. Links to Third-Party Sites.
SHPE will take reasonable steps to help protect the information collected and provided via the Site from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.
8. Updating Your Account.
Registered users can update their profile information on the Site by clicking on shpeconnect.org. Donors may also access and request correction of personal information about them by emailing requests to [email protected].
9. For California Residents.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (also known as the “Shine The Light” law) permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, information about the Personal Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year.
11. Contacting Us.
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
13181 Crossroads Parkway North, Suite 220
City of Industry, CA 97416
Telephone: (323) 725-3970