Job Description: Accountant
Job Title: Accountant
Reports To: Senior Director Finance & Accounting
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Part-Time
Location: Greater Los Angeles, CA
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) was founded in Los Angeles, California, in 1974 by a group of engineers employed by the city of Los Angeles. Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community. The concept of Networking was the key basis for the organization. SHPE quickly established two student chapters to begin the network that would grow to encompass the nation as well as reach countries outside the United States. Today, SHPE enjoys a strong but independent network of professional and student chapters throughout the nation.
SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
SHPE’s vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers.
As a key member of the Finance & Accounting Department, the Accountant will report to the department’s Sr. Director, Finance & Accounting. The Accountant will play a critical role in SHPE’s financial well-being by providing support in Accounts Payable and Receivable and, financial record maintenance. The position will also be critical in ensuring SHPE’s organizational assets are safeguarded and that SHPE’s financial internal controls are executed properly.
- Support the development of finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Make decisions to modify or adapt procedures to the Sr. Director, Finance and Accounting that will strengthen the overall financial control environment of the organization to meet different or changing circumstances.
- Support the timely preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports that accurately reflect the financial position of the organization.
Identify and present financial risks related to SHPE’s internal controls and processes. Make recommendations to the Sr. Director, Finance and Accounting on appropriate action for resolution.
Provide technical support in developing and preparing budgets, budget modifications and amendments and other supporting financial analyses and schedules required for ongoing grant/contracts and proposals for additional funding.
Other related duties as assigned or as becomes evident
Accounts Playable and Receivable
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances.
- Optimize utilization of the accounting software. Streamline financial and data tracking systems.
- Support new accounts payable vendor set-ups and requests for direct billing applications.
- Create new invoices, enter them into QuickBooks, and release them to the vendor.
- Review incoming electronic payments/deposits and prepare a preliminary journal for review and approval. Once approved, post to QuickBooks.
- Complete monthly reconciliations in a timely and accurate manner:
- Corporate Credit Card reconciliations
- Membership reconciliations
- Void check reconciliations
- Outstanding invoice reconciliations
- Other miscellaneous payment reconciliations as requested
- Support the Finance Team in ensuring that financial record systems are maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and fund accounting.
- Create, organize, and maintain financial files – this includes organizing and maintaining hard copy files and the scanning and creation of digital files as needed.
MANDATORY JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA preferred
REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of five years of experience in an accounting function (including A/R, A/P, travel and expenses, etc.)
- Advanced skills in Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel
- Financial accounting experience in a nonprofit organization or governmental entity is desirable.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Believe in the Mission and Vision of SHPE
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to partner and build relationships with team members
- Practice utmost professionalism in multicultural setting
- Ability to oversee a team of volunteers
- Ability to work with variety of constituents such as corporate partners, board members and volunteers
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Working knowledge of MS Office
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND TRAVEL
- Moderate noise level
- 5-10% Travel
- Ability to stand one third of the time
- Ability to lift 10lbs or less one third of the time
- Ability to walk one third of the time
- Ability to sit more than two thirds of the time
- Ability to talk and hear two thirds of the time
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Annual salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, retirement plan, and vacation
Interested candidates should submit the following items electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter (with the subject Part Time Accountant)
- 3 professional references
- Salary requirements
Note: Submission deadline is revolving until filled.
It is the policy of SHPE not to discriminate against any individual employee, group of employees or prospective employee for reasons of race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, age, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical or mental or sensory disability, genetic information, military status or any other consideration protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. SHPE is committed to providing equal opportunities in all employment-related activities including, but not limited to: recruiting, hiring, advancement, compensation, training, benefits, transfers, and terms of employment. SHPE promotes equal opportunities for all employees and applicants for employment. Further, SHPE will fully comply with all applicable equal employment federal, state and local laws and regulations.