Lack of funds is one of the most challenging reasons facing Hispanic students pursuing their degrees. So SHPE offers thousands of reasons to ensure their members DO reach graduation – over a million to be exact. With 346 scholarships totaling over $1,800,000 awarded last year, SHPE is actively narrowing the gap in the Hispanic STEM education pipeline.
ScholarSHPE provides opportunities for:
- Graduating high school seniors beginning a STEM undergraduate career at a community college or 4-year university.
- Undergraduate students pursuing a degree in STEM at any stage of their undergraduate career. Students must be enrolled full-time at a community college or 4-year university.
- Students or professionals pursuing technical certificates or graduate-level professional education that increase their professional competencies with select institutions.
- Graduate students pursuing a master’s or doctoral STEM degree program at an accredited university.
How to Apply for 2023-2024
Congratulations on taking another step towards advancing your academic career and giving the world what it needs – more Hispanics in STEM like you. Our scholarship application period opens on November 1, 2023 and will close on April 14, 2024.
To apply to any of our scholarships, you must first complete our ScholarSHPE Common Application. This will allow you to easily apply to multiple scholarship opportunities without having to start every application from the beginning.
Please check this webpage on a weekly basis during the application period for the most up-to-date offerings. Also, once you have created an application, you will be notified as new opportunities become available.
Applications Due April 14
Start your application on November 1, save it, and come back as needed. Just make sure it’s finished and submitted by April 14, 2024.
Our minimum requirements for all scholarships are as follows:
- Active SHPE Member (To become an active member, please visit shpe.org and select “Join” in the top right hand corner of the webpage.)
- Minimum Cumulative GPA: 2.5 (This is a cumulative GPA as listed on the transcript of your latest academic institution.)
- Plan to pursue a STEM degree
- Plan to enroll at an accredited two-year or four-year college/university for the 2024-2025 academic year in the United States*
NOTE: Some sponsored scholarships may have additional requirements or specifications; these requirements will be listed on the ScholarSHPE application page.
* Includes ALL U.S. territories
ScholarSHPE Webinar Series
To support our students with preparing winning ScholarSHPE applications, we offer a webinar series every Spring.
To sponsor a named corporate ScholarSHPE, please complete this commitment form.
To contribute to our ScholarSHPE fund, please donate here.
- Must be an active SHPE Member
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Be a declared STEM major to qualify for application to our SHPE Scholarships.
- A list of all qualifying STEM degrees can be found here. If your major is not listed and you would like to know if your major qualifies as STEM, please send us a separate email with your major, type of degree (i.e. Bachelor of Science, Master in X, Ph.D. in X), and the course requirements for degree completion; and, we will evaluate your degree for STEM qualification.
- SHPE funded scholarships are open to all active SHPE members that meet our basic requirements listed above. Citizenship is NOT required for SHPE scholarships. However, some of our sponsor funded scholarships do require citizenship and this is explicitly stated as a requirement in our Scholarship Offerings located here.
Currently we have a few offerings that are available to high school seniors. This means that you may apply in February of your senior year of high school. This application would be for scholarship awards that would be granted in your freshman year of college should you be selected.
- Please reference the timeline listed above for ScholarSHPE award dates.
- SHPE processes scholarship payments electronically via bill.com. If you are a ScholarSHPE recipient, you will receive instructions in late November to provide your banking information to ensure timely electronic payments.