Sr. Director, Finance & Accounting
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) was founded in Los Angeles, California, in 1974 by a group of engineers employed by the city of Los Angeles. Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community. The concept of Networking was the key basis for the organization. SHPE quickly established two student chapters to begin the network that would grow to encompass the nation as well as reach countries outside the United States. Today, SHPE enjoys a strong but independent nation-wide network of professional and student chapters.
SHPE changes lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development.
SHPE's vision is a world where Hispanics are highly valued and influential as the leading innovators, scientists, mathematicians and engineers
As a key member of the Senior Management Team, the Sr. Director, Finance & Accounting will report to the Chief Executive Officer and assume a strategic role in the financial management of the Organization. The Sr. Director, Finance & Accounting is responsible for developing the financial well-being of the organization by providing financial projections and accounting services; preparing growth plans, and ensuring SHPE’s organizational assets are safeguarded. This position will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all of SHPE’s financial-related activities.
This position is required to be located in Los Angeles, CA (or surrounding area)
Organizational Strategy & Leadership
- Work with the Executive Leadership Team (CEO, CFO, COO/CoS) to clearly define and communicate strategic priorities and annual goals.
- Establish and maintain all banking relationships.
- Accomplish finance human resource strategies by determining accountabilities; communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures; implementing recruitment, selection, orientation, training, coaching, counseling, disciplinary, and communication programs; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation strategies.
- Provide general business and financial advice to the Chief Executive Officer on the overall operations and financial condition of the organization. Provide technical support and direction to senior management staff to ensure compliance with government rules and regulations and grant/contract requirements.
- Serve as primary support staff contact to the Finance and Audit committees of the Board of Directors.
- Work with the Executive Leadership Team to establish a financial plan for SPHE that achieves the organizations financial goals, including expenditures, revenue goals, and staff productivity goals.
- Make decisions to modify or adapt procedures to strengthen the overall financial control environment of the organization to meet different or changing circumstances.
- Prepare and present monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports that accurately reflect the financial position of the organization.
- Identify and present financial issues. Make recommendations on appropriate action for resolution.
- Develop finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Establish finance operational strategies by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; determining production, productivity, quality, and customer-service strategies; designing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change.
Budgeting & Growth Plans
- Develop organization prospects by studying economic trends and revenue opportunities; projecting acquisition and expansion prospects; analyzing organization operations; identifying opportunities for financial improvement, cost reduction, and systems enhancement; accumulating restricted and unrestricted fund expansion.
- Develop financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements; identifying monetary resources; developing action plans.
- Provide technical support in developing and preparing budgets, budget modifications and amendments and other supporting financial analyses and schedules required for ongoing grant/contracts and proposals for additional funding.
Accounting & Financial Audits
- Design and implement financial reporting systems.
- Ensure that accounting policies, procedures and controls comply with generally accepted accounting principles, government regulations and guidelines.
- Optimize utilization of the accounting software. Streamline financial and data tracking systems.
- Oversee and facilitate the annual audit.
- Act as a liaison with funding sources in resolving budget, financial and reporting issues.
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances.
- Report financial status by developing forecasts; reporting results; analyzing variances; developing improvements.
Investment & Asset Management
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure organization assets are safeguarded, including confidential data.
- Maximizes return on invested funds by identifying investment opportunities; maintaining relationships with the investment community.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field
- CPA requirement
- JD is preferred
- Minimum of ten years of progressive financial accounting experience, including five years of supervisory experience.
- Financial accounting experience in a nonprofit organization or governmental entity is desirable.
- 5-10% Travel
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience
We offer a benefits package with medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and vacation.
- Cover letter
- 3 professional references
- Salary requirements
SHPE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.